Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Just Getting Started

New Year's resolutions get me every year. I'm not the only one, as evidenced by the number of people at the gym on Monday. Barely got a machine. But as I was climbing (ramp 11 resistance 7), it occurred to me that I should actually do something this year that I've talked about for years. I'm not a big talker and I'm really crappy at small talk, but I realized when I hit 40 (yeah, I said it) that maybe I'm just all talk. It's time for action. 2009 is my year to take action. Believe it or not, I set up this blog three months ago. I can't believe I'm actually writing something. So maybe I will attempt to write a little bit each day and see where it goes. This could replace all that talking to myself I do. I talk to myself a lot and have genuine fears of turning into the muffin lady. You don't know the muffin lady. No relation to the muffin man. The muffin lady walked the streets of my home town talking gibberish to herself mostly, but occasionally one phrase would come through loud and clear, and that was something about not baking the muffins or don't you tell me to bake the muffins. So my mom called her the muffin lady. I think about her every time I launch into a conversation with myself while walking or driving or shopping or standing in the elevator or blowing drying my hair. I don't think I'm crazy like maybe she was, but I think other people think I am. You know, the people who happen to pass me just when I decide to say something out loud instead of under my breath or inside my head while quietly moving my lips. And when they look at me with that raised eyebrow I think, ya know, I really need to start that blog. So, here I am.

No comments: