Friday, January 9, 2009

Eye of Flute

So I'm watching the game last night like most people trying to understand what the BCS Championship is and wondering which bowl game it either was supposed to be or which one it replaced. Words like Orange and Cotton and even Alamo were tossed around in desperation amongst friends, but we didn't know what the heck we were talking about. I thought it was the Basil Bowl at one point because the transition graphics were so fast all I saw were a couple of B's and I put that together myself. That aside, I had to pick a team to favor between two teams I knew nothing about. I went with Oklahoma for two obvious reasons: their fabulous ruby red helmets and the flagrant overuse of the piccolo in the Gator marching band. There were at least a dozen piccoloists, piccologians, piccopickers...people playing the piccolo and everyone knows that is way too many. First of all, the piccolo is a pointless instrument easily drown out by any other instrument known to man unless played completely independent of any other instrument known to man. Even a triangle trumps piccolo. No matter how many piccolos you put out there, they are puffin' in a vacuum. The only audience that could appreciate the piccolo is perhaps one of the canine variety dressed in tuxedos swirling champagne in their Eddie Bauer water bowls. Certainly not anyone at a bowl game and certainly not at a bowl game with an equal number of tubas. I don't know who's idea it was to put those girls through that, and admittedly I only caught a couple of screen shots of them trying their hardest, but I did not hear a single note for all their blowing. Then again, it could have gotten better, I fell asleep early in the third quarter and for all I know the game is still going on. Truth is, I once played the piccolo. And when I say once, I mean...once. I played the flute for years and being first chair (geek!!!!) in high school meant first right of refusal to anything piccolo. When first handed the piccolo I thought it was so cute! I wanted to wrap it in swaddling clothes and coddle it through lunch. It was slim and trim and half the size of that ginormous flute I'd been toting around. But then I tried to play it. I would rather suffer through an ice cream headache. The good news is second chair coveted it. Her huge eyes and super long eyelashes openly yearned to play that damn thing, so I said, "Here. You try it." She was amazing!!! Not my favorite sound, but honestly, she made it sing and since she was right next to me, I could ALMOST hear it when the whole band tuned in. So I know a thing or two about what a piccolo sounds like and what it takes to make one make any sound at all. One is enough, Florida. It's the same as 12. Does anyone know who won the game???

No comments: